CABINET members will convene in the White House this week to hammer out the details of a deal that will give big companies like General Motors and Ford more time to make the transition from diesel engines to electric ones, but they won’t have much time to meet their top negotiators in the room.
While the deal is expected to be finalized by the end of this month, it could be a year before it’s approved by Congress.
The White House says the president is looking for a “fast-track” authority that would give automakers more time and a more stable footing than the rules currently in place, but it won’t give them all they need.
“The president has asked the Department of Energy to expedite the process for a deal, which would allow companies to get this done as quickly as possible, so they can get the transition in place,” White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said on Tuesday.
The administration also says the agreement will include more flexibility for automakers to transition to other technologies.
“I want to make sure we get this right,” Psaki told reporters on Tuesday when asked whether President Donald Trump’s goal is to get Congress to approve the deal.
“We’re not going to get there without Congress.
But I want to do my best to make this happen as quickly and as safely as possible.””
We want to get the auto industry on the right track,” she added.
The White House has been trying to strike a deal with the auto sector that is acceptable to the president, Congress and the public for the past two months, and its efforts have failed so far.
The deal is supposed to be in place by June 1, but the process is still moving at a fast pace.
The auto industry is set to vote on a plan this week for how to move forward with the transition, which could include a series of amendments that would address concerns raised by auto executives about the risk of introducing new technologies to the market.
The president has been pressing automakers to push back against such an approach, arguing that automakers are not “driving in the 21st century” with their cars.
In the meantime, auto executives have been making concessions in hopes of convincing lawmakers that the auto companies will do what’s best for the U.S. economy.
On Tuesday, the CEOs of Ford and General Motors agreed to push for a transition plan that will allow them to keep the vehicles they’re building in their factories for decades to come.
Both companies have also agreed to put off the transition to electrify their fleet for at least a few more years, until 2030.
In addition, the automakers will agree to take steps to increase incentives for automakers in the next two years to make a transition to electric vehicles.
The agreements come after the auto CEOs met with President Donald Trumps National Economic Council (NEC) to try to reach an agreement on the auto transition.
“We’re trying to come to a deal.
It’s time to move on,” Ford’s CEO Mark Fields said Tuesday at a press conference announcing the agreement.
“The president is trying to get us to move in the right direction.”
The auto CEOs said they were open to a compromise that could allow the automakers to move toward the electric cars they want to build and sell in the future, but their concerns about the potential risks and delays of moving forward are still important.
“They are working together on a very comprehensive plan to address the challenges of electrifying the nation’s vehicles, but I don’t think they’re going to come close to this deal until they’re absolutely convinced they’re making the best decision for the nation,” Fields said.